Tired of posing your couples? You don't have to!
This two-day shooting workshop is designed to help you step outside your comfort zone. You will photograph strangers, learn how to capture moments without posing, and work on what is holding you back as a photographer. You CAN capture authentic, emotionally storytelling images without posing or direction, and no longer fear getting the camera where it needs to be.
Ever hesitate to get the camera close? We will work on this together. Let's shoot people who aren't paying you. BOOM-- now you have freedom to shoot with your own vision, not what clients expect of you. Let's shake up your usual routine and try something new!
Internationally award-winning photojournalist Candice C. Cusic will show you her thought process before hitting the shutter, how to capture moments during portrait sessions, how to feel comfortable documenting strangers and how to anticipate and capture moments you will love.
how to make stronger images, how to capture moments during a portrait session, and how to overcome any anxiety you may experience in documenting and interacting with strangers
an opportunity to step outside your comfort zone, learn how to document moments during portrait sessions and join a private Facebook group of Moment-Driven Alumni for future support!
in shooting assignments both days, including documenting strangers and volunteers. This is not a “stand around, watching Candice photograph models” session. This is a hands-on workshop – the best way to learn something is to do it yourself!
- Introductions, leave your egos at the door, we are all together to learn, to try new things, to fail and succeed.
- I will teach you how to approach a scene, what to look for before hitting the shutter button, and how to get the camera where it needs to be to accurately capture a moment. Bring your notebooks, there will be a ton of information provided. We will discuss composition, lighting and how to make your clients comfortable in front of the camera, so all you have to do is focus on moments.
- Shooting exercises. We will shoot moment-driven photographs each day, and critique in class. Then, we’ll go back out and make your images even stronger! These aren’t posed images, you will learn how to capture moments while photographing and listening to your subject. You will leave with the tools necessary to always look for moments, especially during a portrait session, which makes it much easier when your clients ask, “What do you want us to do?”
- Lunch is included for both days. These gives a chance to get to know each other in a casual setting.
- Participant critiques. We will review your images over lunch and discuss how to make them stronger.
- Shooting exercises. We will document strangers. This isn’t shooting from the hip. You should have a conversation with someone, ask permission to photograph them, then shoot and talk to them at the same time so you capture moments, not posed images. You will have unlimited opportunities to shoot in a completely different style, try new things and take risks. Taking a risk, without any client expectations or pressure, is a great way to learn!
- Participant critiques of shooting exercises
- Shooting exercises. More opportunities to take risks by documenting strangers.
- If there’s time, Website critiques. I will edit your website portfolio, and highlight your strongest work. Let’s take your portfolio to the next level, and make sure each shot has an impact!
Want to see the Moment-Driven Photojournalism Workshop in action? Watch a Behind the Scenes video!
Check out this incredible space the workshop will be hosted in.
"I absolutely loved the whole experience. Candice's workshop pushed me to think about myself as an independent photographer, as I'm usually part of a team, and to challenge my fears and perceived strengths and weaknesses. By her very nature she gives you the confidence to feel like you can achieve anything which led me to surprise myself! I definitely walked into bride prep at a wedding four days later holding my head a little higher.Candice is also just a joy to spend time with. I would highly recommend this workshop to any photographer!" -Lina Orsino-Allen
"I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the Moment-Driven workshop, even when Candice took us out of our comfort zone. There is something very liberating when you step into the unknown, or face that which you fear, and find out it's not nearly as bad as you thought it would be. Through her teaching and practical sessions Candice helped me overcome a hurdle I didn't even realise was holding me back. My only regret is that I didn't do this course years ago! I can't wait to see where my photography goes from here! Thank you Candice!" - Catherine Pound
"Having had a few workshops over the past 2 years I found Candice's to be perfect for my requirements, and my journalistic photography style. She is an excellent teacher and all round epic person. Her concepts and methods were well explained, and she was great at challenging her students. Even those with a lot of experience under their belts!" - Rafe Abrook
"I went into the Moment Driven Workshop with no expectations, I had never done anything like this before. I was hoping for renewed motivation and fresh way of seeing things and WOW did I get it. I learned tools and techniques to polish an already successful career, stuff I had never really thought about before.Confidence to change the things I am weaker at and a different view point. That sort of stuff is priceless!" - Eve Dunlop
Ready to reserve?
May 2nd - 3rd 2017
Price: 695 pounds (Book before March 18 for a 50 pound discount!)
And thank you to all of our Sponsors for all of your special discounts for our students!